With colors of NBA team, Lynn Fitch seeks victory in GOP runoff


                                                                                             JOHN E. BIALAS
The Lynn Fitch campaign signs, like this near the beach in Gulfport, feature colors of the Cleveland Cavaliers.


By JOHN E. BIALAS
Broadmoor Bureau Chief

State Treasurer Lynn Fitch will face Madison County attorney Andy Taggart in the Mississippi Republican runoff for the open seat of attorney general, vacated by Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jim Hood. 

I really don't care who wins the runoff on Tuesday, Aug. 27. What I'm really interested in is whether Fitch can win with the colors of an NBA team. Every time I see her campaign signs, I think of the Cleveland Cavaliers, and if her supporters think the same thing, I'm sure they're hoping she will be the title-winning LeBron Cavaliers and not the post-LeBron Cavs. 

                                    U.S. TEAM COLORS
Cleveland has four primary colors and two of them are black and deep navy. I see some white when I look at the Fitch signs and I mainly see Cavaliers wine and gold, which go all the way back to the start of the franchise in the 1970-71 season. Fitch was 10 years old at the time, and the Cavaliers roster included Bobby "Bingo" Smith, who became one of the best players in the team's history.

The first coach of the Cavaliers was Hall of Famer Bill Fitch, and I know Lynn Fitch is not related to Bill Fitch. I do know that her father, Bill Fitch (yes!!!), owned a small consumer finance business in Holly Springs.

The winner of the Fitch-Taggart runoff will face Democrat Jennifer Riley-Collins in the November general election.

Before I finish this fine piece of humor, I need to come right out and say I'm an apolitical Mississippi man who won't be voting on Tuesday and, of course, I won't be going to the polls in November unless I can vote for campaign signs because I know what looks really good.

Because of its outstanding design and color scheme, I would vote for the Fitch sign. It's a work of art. It's so good,  I call it "The Gold Fitch."






Comments

Popular Posts