Your hungry hound news for Tuesday, 11-5-19




By JOHN E. BIALAS
Broadmoor Bureau Chief


It's Tilly Tuesday, 11-5-19, and on this day, I saw a tweeter ask his followers if the time change makes their dog hungry early.

I guess I'm OK with the tweeter's use of "hungry early," although maybe it would be better to write "earlier than usual," but I'm not here to teach lessons in the language. Let's leave it to the Persnickety
Snicketers of Apostrophes, Colons, Commas and Whatnots to do that.

I was curious to find out if the time change makes Tilly, our 6-year-old basset hound, hungry early. It's been only a couple of days since our clocks fell back, and I can already say that, yes, Tilly is now hungry early.

No matter the season, she knocks her food bowl around and howls in the back room of our house to let us know she is hungry. When the days are sunny and bright, her dinner is usually served at 4 p.m. or 5 p.m., but with the days having the gloomy darkness of late fall down here in Gulfport, Miss., she's been causing her commotion at 2 p.m. or 3 p.m.

I'm glad I'm not up early enough to hear the racket she creates when it's breakfast time. Patty takes care of that because she's not a Night Owl like me.

Hours after I saw the "hungry early" tweet, I went to Google for stories about dogs and the time change and I found useful information, though some of the articles aggravate me with their reference to "daylight savings time." That's the improper form. Daylight saving time is the proper form.

Dogtime.com gets it right in its story, "How the End of Daylight Saving Time Affects Your Dog, and the article addresses feeding time.

If your dog is used to eating at a certain time, they might be a bit upset when breakfast or dinner is coming an hour late.

Don’t be surprised if your pup sits by their empty bowl, looking up at you with their best “feed me” puppy dog eyes.
When food doesn’t come on time, your pup might act out by begging, chewing things they shouldn’t chew, or raiding the garbage cans.
 Hey, Tilly isn't a Basset Beggar and she isn't a Garbage Husker!!! She's a Hungry Hound!!!

 I ignored Tilly's "hungry early" dinner signals at 2 p.m. on Tilly Tuesday because I was busy trying to write this inspired piece of dog blogging for my faithful readers, all two of them, and Patty was visiting a neighbor up the street.

During my break at 2:10 p.m., I found a few seconds to take a picture of Tilly for Tilly Tuesday and it's at the top of this post. She fooled me into thinking she was ready for a nap. After I took the picture, I got a close look at her right eye. I thought it was closed. It wasn't. She was just hiding it behind her blue comforter.

Her sleeping dog act was a lie, because once Patty came back, Tilly barked as loud as she can and Patty took care of her.

What's the matter? Are you hungry? I'll give you a little nutrition. That should make you happy. 

I was happy about Patty's act of kindness because it allowed me to finish the post and make my self-imposed deadline.

I'll be happier when the time gets back to normal. You know, spring forward. The time will come March 8, 2020.

Please come back next week for Tilly Tuesday. 

Just remember it’s not Taco Tilly and it’s not Taco Tuesday at Pictures of Tilly. 

It’s Tilly Tuesday.











Comments

Popular Posts