Surf's up in Gulfport. That's a Barry bad sign.

By JOHN E. BIALAS 
Broadmoor Bureau Chief

I noticed the Mississippi Sound waves during my daily 2.5-mile beach walk Thursday afternoon and I was so impressed with how strong they looked, I had to shoot an 11-second video with my iPhone.

  I posted the video on Instagram and titled it
  "Surf's up." I don't see this all the time. I usually
  think it's a sign a thunderstorm is coming.This
  time I thought of one big bad thing: Tropical
  Storm Barry.


  About 30 minutes after I posted the Instagram
  video, I received a message from Weather.com
  news editor Paul Matadeen, who asked for
  permission to feature my clip on the website for
  The Weather Channel.

  I told Matadeen he was welcome to use it and was
  relieved he didn't address the other words in my post: "Jim Cantonolli shooting video at the beach." Cantonolli was my attempt at humor and a reference to Jim Cantore, Weather Channel meteorologist and hurricane meme.

Then I got a message my cousin, Mike Wilder, executive producer for WGN-TV Morning News in Chicago.

"I'm going to start a bidding war," Mike said. "WGN will give you a Weber's Bakery loaf of sauerkraut rye and a dozen kolachy for the exclusive rights. What you got weather.com?"

Oh, I love Weber's, which is near my aunt's house on the South Side of Chicago. Weber's is a longtime favorite in my family, just as it is in the Wilder family.

Not even waiting to hear back from Weather.com, I ended the bidding war with a quick response to Mike: "Yours is the winning bid."




Comments

Popular Posts